The City of Chicago created Washtenaw Park in 1947, constructing a playingfield, skating pond, shelter house, and spray pool shortly thereafter. The Bureau of Parks and Recreation, which operated Washtenaw Park for the city, erected a fieldhouse in 1948. In 1959, the city transferred Washtenaw Park to the Chicago Park District. Although there is no record of this park's naming, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation often used adjacent street names for purposes of identification. Washtenaw Avenue may take its name from one of several sources. A Michigan county bears the name. The Algonquin people term Washtenaw - literally, "the place of the round or curved channel" - was used to refer to the settlement at Detroit. Washtenaw is also an Ojibway word meaning "far-off," and first applied to a Michigan stream.