Rogers Park Woman's Club
- 1 The Rogers Park Woman's Club History
- 2 Kindergarten
- 3 1902--
- 4 1903--
- 5 1904--
- 6 1905--
- 7 1906--
- 8 1907--
- 9 1908--
- 10 1909--
- 11 1910--
- 12 1911--
- 13 1912--
- 14 1913--
- 15 1914--
- 16 1915--
- 17 Past Presidents
- 18 Honorary Members
- 19 Outstanding Accomplishments In the History of the Rogers Park Woman's Club
- 20 Chicago Landmarks Historic Resources Survey
- 21 Photos
The Rogers Park Woman's Club History
by Evelyn Page
From: Summer 1986 RPHS Newsletter, pp.2-3
Written by Evelyn Page from a suggestion of Eleanor Mars.
The Rogers Park Woman's Club (RPWC) was founded in October 1891 at the home of Mrs. Edward D. Coxe with an initial membership of ten persons. In later years, at its height, there were 900 members. At its inception, the Club was mainly literary. Later, the concerns of the members were devoted to Civics, Public Welfare, and the Arts.
RPWC had a long record of service to the community beginning with the first project, which was the establishment of a public library and reading room in Rogers Park. It was achieved with considerable effort and a very creditable library resulted with members serving as librarians and even janitors. A traveling library was also provided by members who drove around the community with a horse and buggy bringing books to those who were unable to go to the library.
Many of the members assisted at Northwestern University's Settlement House, particularly in Americanization courses and in teaching English to immigrants. They also arranged summer outings in Rogers Park for women and children from the tenements.
In the community, the RPWC was instrumental in placing Domestic Science in the schools and campaigned vigorously for a kindergarten. The members fought for pure food legislation and insisted that the regional dairy put milk in bottles and that the bakeries sell bread in paper covers.
In 1905, the idea for a club house took form when $300 was set aside for the start of a building fund.
Club members started the first school lunchroom at Nicholas Senn High School in 1913 to raise money and 27 members maintained it for many years to build the clubhouse and to pay off the mortgage.
On June 14, 1916, the cornerstone was laid and on the following January 1, 1917, the RPWC members and friends celebrated the 25th Anniversary of the club with a New Year's Reception and Open House in their own clubhouse. On January 1, 1927, at another New Year's Reception, the mortgage was burned.
During World War I, the RPWC was headquarters for all Rogers Park Red Cross work. Upon our entry into World War II, RPWC Red Cross workers set an excellent record of supplies delivered. All possible help was given to service men and women, to discharged veterans, and to those in hospitals.
A quarter of a million dollars in War Bonds were sold by RPWC members during the years of 1943-1945 and the club was awarded a Citation of Merit.
In addition to all the assistance extended to our country and to our community during the Depression and during the war years, all of the regular services and philanthropy of the RPWC were still provided.
The 90th birthday of the Rogers Park Woman's Club was celebrated in the clubhouse in 1981. However, 1983 was a very traumatic time for the members because heavy Cook County real estate taxes, coupled with higher cost in maintenance and a smaller membership, finally necessitated the sale of the clubhouse.
After investigating several possible quarters for the club, the Board of Directors decided on Banner Hall in the parish house of St. Paul's Church by the Lake located right across the street at 7100 N. Ashland Avenue.
In the Fall of 1996, after 105 years of work by dedicated women in Rogers Park, the club closed forever.
V. Pres., Mrs. C. D. Hill;
Rec. Sec., Mrs. Charles D. Bradley;
Treas., Mrs. Edward D. Coxe.
Cor. Sec., Mrs. Charles D. Bradley;
Rec. Sec., Mrs. Joseph Cummins;
Treas., Mrs. Paul Hullhorst.
Cor. Sec., Mrs. M. H. Cazier;
Rec. Sec., Miss Amy Beckler;
Treas., Mrs. Charles H. Johnson.
Cor. Sec., Mrs. Edward M. Gallup;
Rec.Sec., Mrs. Alfred R. Heckman; Treas.,
Mrs. Charles H. Johnson.
Rec. Sec., Mrs. Jervis Newton;
Treas., Mrs. Frank R. McKinstry.
Res. Sec., Mrs. M. C. Black;
Treas., Mrs. Frank R. McKinstry.
Rec. Sec., Mrs. Charles Ford;
Cor. Sec., Mrs. Charles H. Johnson, 1618 Sherwin Avenue;
Treas., Mrs. George L. Wilkins.
Rec. Sec., Mrs. Charles Ford;
Treas., Mrs. W. A. Shaw.
Rec. Sec., Mrs. D.J. McCammon;
Treas. Mrs. W. A. Shaw.
Treas.. Mrs. W. A. Shaw.
Rec. Sec., Mrs. Joseph W. Hayes;
Cor. Sec., Mrs. J. T. Caldwell; 1649 Juniata;
Treas., Mrs. N. C. Safford.
Rec. Sec., Mrs. W.C. Yeatman;
Treas., Mrs. William Graham
- = Deceased t = Honorary
- Flora M. Foote 1891-1893
- Agnes R. W. Brigham 1893-1894
- Georgina N. Wild 1893-1894
- Dr. Harriet C.B. Alexander 1894-1895
- Emily L. Alling 1895-1896
- Mrs. Frank S. Hine 1898-1899
- Mary O. Lovell 1899-1900
- Jeanette D. Welch 1900-1901
- Ida May Hullhorst 1915-1917
- Lena Kent Horner 1917-1919
- tCarrie Campbell Shrader 1919-1921
- Flora A. Nahigian 1923-1925
- Maude E. Ford 1925-1927
- Annie Foote Wetzel 1927-1929
- Lona V. Whitaker 1931-1933
- tFlorence S. Peacock 1933-1935
- tOlive B. James 1935-1937
- tMabel S. Massie 1937-1939
- tGertrude W. Dewire 1939-1941
- Ella May Hicks 1941·1942
- Elamaye M.Kerr 1943-1945
tMarjorie Ennis Mueller 1945·1947
tLeela V. Swanish 1947-1949
- Erba G.Pankow 1949-1951
- Beulah B. Doty 1951-1953
- Pearl Morse Barbee 1953-1955
- tMary Turnbull Catton 1955-1957
- Herma K. Kaiser 1957-1959
Joel Quintus White 1959-1961
- tAlice Danielson Collar 1961-1963
- tLouise Jardine 1963-1965
- tEdith G. Broms 1965-1967
- Dorothy Swanberg 1965-1967
tNelle Badke 1967-1969
- Emma R. Wood 1969-1971
- tEdith G. Broms 1973-1975, 2nd Term
Edith Bucke 1975-1977
Helen Sheffieck 1977-1979
Joel Quintus White 1979-1982, 2nd Term
Helen Sheffieck 1982-1984, 2nd Term
Evelyn L. Page 1984-1986
Joel Quintus White 1987-? , 3rd Term
- j; = Past Presidents
- j;Badke, Nelle 1947
Clayton, Margaret S. 1929
Corporon, Wilma 1940
Fithian, Irene 1948
Fox, Elsie 1939
Freeman, Florence 1948
Groenwald, Nelle 1948
Hammitt, Bernice 1949
Holden, Bernice 1948
Larson, Emily L.S. 1934
- j;Mueller, Marjorie Ennis 1933
- j;Swanish, Leela V. 1935
Teich, Louise B. 1935
Thom, Helen 1947
Van Degens, Edna 1944
Wadsworth, Ruth 1946
Watson, Jean 1936
Webb, Florence 1942
"j;White, Joel Quintus 1949
Wilson, Loucile 1942
Wood, Enid 1933
Outstanding Accomplishments In the History of the Rogers Park Woman's Club
(Researched and gathered by the 1984-86 Past President.)
• A traveling library was provided by members going around the community with a horse and buggy.
• Later, the club provided a library and reading room in Rogers Park with members serving as librarians and janitors.
• The Board of Education was persuaded to put a kindergarten in the school.
• The members assisted at the Northwestern University Settlement House.
• Summer outings were provided in Rogers Park for women and children from the tenements.
• They were instrumental in placing a Domestic Science course in the schools.
• Women from the club started the school lunchroom at Senn High School and 27 members maintained it for 27 years to raise money to build a club house and to payoff the mortgage. Their successful performance in managing a school lunchroom served as a model to school systems throughout the nation.
• The members fought for pure food legislation and. insisted that the regional dairy put milk in bottles, and the bakeries sell bread in paper covers.
• In World War I, the Central Committee and Central Shop for all Rogers Park Red Cross work were housed in their club house.
• Americanization of immigrants was one of the club projects and English classes were taught at the Rogers Park Woman's Club and at Pulaski Center.
• Exhibits of work of Chicago artists were held in their club house to encourage an interest in art.
• A Shoe Fund for School Children's Aid was established.
• Over a quarter of a million dollars in War Bonds were sold by the members 1943-1945.
• Rogers Park Women's Club initiated the system of having school crossing guards with badges.
Architect: Somers, Elbert S.
Historic Name: Rogers Park Woman's Club
Community: Rogers Park (01)
Address: 7077 N. Ashland Avenue
Constructed: Started in 07/01/1916
Color Code: Possesses potentially significant architectural or historical features (OR)
National Register? N
Building Details: Classical, Prarie
RPWRHS photo R011-P1979 shows the 1979 Rogers Park Woman's Club president to be Evelyn L. Page. Photo-1979. Location: 7077 N. Ashland Avenue. This is out of sequence. Page was president 1984-1986. The 1979 president was the second term for Joel Quintus White. Her photo says Page was president 1979-1981. But, White was president from 1979-1982. Two lists from the 7077 N. Ashland Avenue agree with this version.
RPWRHS photo R011-93681 shows: The Rogers Park Library, shown here in 1915, was located at 6957 N. Clark Street and remained here until 1922. Library service in Rogers Park was established by the Rogers Park Woman's Club in 1894. Club members acted as librarians and books were donated. Location: 6957 N. Clark Street.