Incorporation Date: April 29, 1878, as the Village of Rogers Park
History of Cook County, Illinois; The Earliest Period to the Present Time; Complete in One Volume, 1884, Page 461.
Rogers Park is a small village of some 400 people, situated on the Chicago & North Western Railway about five miles north of Lincoln Park, Chicago. It is known on surveyors' maps as a subdivision of the northeast quarter, and that part of the northwest quarter lying east of Ridge Road of Section 31: also the west half of the northwest quartet of Section 32; also all of Section 30, lying south of the Indian boundary line, all in Township 41 north, Range 14 east, of the third principal meridian.
The village takes its name from the fact that Philip McGregor Rogers, (Irish), came to America in 1838, and in 1844 settled upon the quarter section now called Rogers Ridge, having purchased the land at Government sale. This is now part of the subdivision of Rogers Park. Philip McGregor Rogers died in 1856, having accumulated 1,600 acres of land lying in the present villages of Rogers Park and Ravenswood.
In 1865, Patrick Leonard Touhy married Catherine Touhy, nee: Catherine Rogers, and assumed control of the property which had fallen to her. Her brother, Philip Rogers, Jr. died in 1869 leaving his interest in the estate to his mother and Mrs. Catherine Touhy; thus Patrick Leonard Touhy came into control of over 800 acres. In 1870, he sold an interest to Stephen Purrington Lunt, Luther L. Greenleaf, Charles H. Morse, and Andrew B. Jackson, who formed the Rogers Park Building and Land Company, and platted the site. Since then, property has advanced in value, and Rogers Park has already reached the distinction of having become an incorporated village.