Ridge Avenue Soundex Code R320
This street is in BOTH, Rogers Park and West Ridge
Street numbering DID change. The OLD street numbering at Devon Avenue was 3354 = 6401. The OLD street numbering system at Howard Street was 4155 = 7554. So, according to this, all street numbers between 3354 and 4155 are legit by the old street numbering system.
According to an e-mail from the Municipal Reference team of the Chicago Public Library, received November 28, 2011: Ridge Avenue between Devon Avenue and Howard Street became Ridge Boulevard on Tuesday, October 15, 1940.
Ridge Boulevard is the present name for Ridge Avenue as it runs through the communities of West Ridge and Rogers Park. As it runs through the community of Edgewater, the name reverts to Ridge Avenue.
North of Howard Street in Evanston, Ridge is once again known as "Ridge Avenue."
Both Ridge Boulevard and Ridge Avenue take their respective names from the fact that they run on the Second Ridge, which was formed by Glaciers. It was part of the rim of the massive prehistoric lake that geoligists call Lake Chicago. The second ridge was a main part of The Green Bay Trail, which ran from Chicago to Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Ridge Boulevard is not a completely North and South street. Rather, it has a slight curvature.
1900 W. at 6400 N. to 2200 W. at 7558 N.
Property owners on Ridge Boulevard petitioned for the paving of this street on July 15,1892.
This street, which snakes through Chicago’s Far North Side into the northern suburbs, is called Ridge for a reason: it is located on a on a sand spit, formed during the last glaciation, which was the shoreline of Lake Michigan (formerly Lake Checaugou). As its waters receded, the ridge remained. Before the 1800s the top of the ridge was an Indian trail and later a military road north to Fort Howard near Green Bay. The local stop to catch the stagecoach was on the west side of the street a few blocks north of Devon.
The region’s original settler was 24-year-old Philip McGregor Rogers, who bought 600 acres of land in 1836 and by the time of his death in 1856 owned 1600 acres. He built a log cabin, established an orchard and vegetable farm that sold to the Chicago market and cleared much of woodland. Some of the land was purchased by families from the West Rhine area of Germany (now Rhineland-Palatinate) who emigrated in the 1840s to escape political oppression. They were largely Roman Catholic, literate, with at least a basic education, and extremely diligent and loyal to their community. They built fruit orchards and vegetable farms on the high ground along the ridge. One of the first German settlers who became a community leader was Peter Schmidt, who moved with his 13 children into their ‘dream home’ at 6836 N. Ridge Boulevard. Today his great-great grandson David Fortman lives in the house which is on today’s tour. (For more information on this founder family, see: davidfortmanancestors.com )
From the late 1840s to the 1870s, additional groups of immigrants, including those from the Duchy of Luxembourg came here. Culturally similar, these early families inter-married and shared resources as they built the new community of Ridgeville. Some of them built workman’s cottages and Italianate-style houses along Ridge, some of which are still there.
Several events contributed to the success and expansion of farming operations by the second generation of settlers.
In the 1860s, “The Big Ditch” was dug from Evanston to (now) Pratt Boulevard and then east on Pratt Boulevard to Lake Michigan. This channeled the tributary west of Western Avenue, which drained and opened additional land for agricultural development. The Chicago & North Western Railway was built in 1853, opening easier access to Chicago markets and developing new markets throughout the U.S., as well as facilitating transport of day laborers.
The aftermath of the Civil War created a new demand for flowers for decorating the graves of the dead that spurred the transition from vegetable truck farming to growing of flowers, which was much more rewarding financially. At the peak of his operations, one of the owners, Peter Reinberg (who later became alderman) was the largest supplier of roses and carnations in the world.
Greenhouses were built east of Ridge Avenue where S&C Electric Company is located and also near Touhy and Western Avenues.
The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 created a demand for new homes beyond the city center. In 1872, Patrick Touhy, Phillip Rogers’ son-in-law, created the Rogers Park Land Company and subdivided and improved 48 blocks east of Ridge Avenue for residential development. The Village of Rogers Park was incorporated in 1878 and the Village of West Ridge in 1890. On April 4, 1893, both Rogers Park and West Ridge carried for annexation to the City of Chicago.
After 1900, infrastructure improvements were made by the City which led to the ultimate subdivision of the farms for residential and commercial development. The greenhouse business lasted until the mid 1920s, when competition from growers in Florida and California developed and the land became more valuable for residential and commercial use. The last greenhouses at the corner of Seeley and Farwell Avenues and on Farwell between Hamilton and Bell Avenues remained into the 1950s.
1897 Chicago Blue Book: Ridge Avenue. (Rogers Park) from Devon Avenue. northwest to city limits (Howard Street)
1898 Chicago Blue Book, page 44: Ridge Avenue. (Rogers Park) from Devon Avenue. northwest to city limits (Howard Street). Resident addresses start on page 283.
1901 Chicago Blue Book, page 41: Ridge Avenue. (North Division) from 2599 Evanston Avenue (now Broadway) northwest to city limits (Howard Street). Resident addresses start on page 271.
1902 Chicago Blue Book, page 42: Ridge Avenue. (North Division) from 2599 Evanston Avenue (now Broadway) northwest to city limits (Howard Street). Resident addresses start on page 262.
1903 Chicago Blue Book, page 43: Ridge Avenue. (North Division) from 2599 Evanston Avenue (now Broadway) northwest to city limits (Howard Street). Resident addresses start on page 262.
1904 Chicago Blue Book, page 43: Ridge Avenue. (North Division) from 2599 Evanston Avenue (now Broadway) northwest to city limits (Howard Street). Resident addresses start on page 264.
Addresses Odd numbers (east) Rogers Park; even numbers (west) West Ridge
xxxx N. Ridge Boulevard is an unidentified house. No owner name given. No date given.
Following is NOT in Rogers Park nor West Ridge
1456 N. Ridge Boulevard, Edward Hines, 1919.
WR 2736 Ridge Avenue, Mr. & Mrs. William J. Leacock, 1904.
WR 2738 Ridge Avenue, Mr. & Mrs. William Leacock & daughter, 1904.
RP 3361 N. Ridge Avenue is the location where a photograph was taken on the occasion of Mary Mertens' first communion.
RP 3543 Ridge Avenue (now 6648 N. Ridge Boulevard) was the Karthauser Inn. 1920.
WR 3742 Ridge Avenue, (now Ridge Boulevard), Mr. & Mrs. William T. Richmond, 1895.
WR 3802 Ridge Avenue, Dr. & Mrs. William Richmond, 1897, 1898.
WR 3824 Ridge Avenue, (now Ridge Boulevard), Mr. & Mrs. Edgar S. Foote, 1895, 1897, 1898.
WR 3824 Ridge Avenue, (now Ridge Boulevard), Dr. & Mrs. Levi H. Thomas, 1895, 1897, 1898, 1901, 1902.
WR 3850 Ridge Avenue, now 7053 N. Ridge Boulevard, was the Thomas Jackson residence, circa 1980. This was the Brown House in 1993.
WR 3939 Ridge Street is now 7230 N. Ridge Boulevard The Henry Schubert House was built in 1884, at 3939 Ridge Street. The changes in street numbering made the address 7230 N. Ridge Boulevard.
WR 3957 Ridge (was 7254 N. Ridge Boulevard) was the residence of J.C. Schiesswohl.
4100 Block (Old Street Numbering System)
WR 4113 Ridge (now 7504 N. Ridge Boulevard) the Peter Muno house, built in the early 1840s. It stood on this site for more than 120 years.
WR 4133 N. Ridge Avenue was the residence of Marshall Kyle.
WR 5655 N. Ridge Avenue, Norman Wolcott Cook
5800 Block (Edgewater Address)
WR 5805 N. Ridge Avenue, Martine Schools of Dancing, 1919.
WR 5896 N. Ridge Avenue is the Peter P. Kranz residence, circa 1912.
EW 6063 N. Ridge Avenue, in 1937, was M. Winandy and Sons
WR 6200 N. Ridge Avenue Original address for St. Henry's School. Now located at 6325 N. Hoyne Avenue
WR 6300 N. Ridge Avenue is Misericordia.
WR 6300 N. Ridge Avenue is where Misericordia raffled off a car in 1991.
WR 6300 N Ridge Avenue, Misericordia Greenhouse Inn, December 1997.
WR 6346 N. Ridge Boulevard, Angel Guardian Croatian Church
WR 6346 N. Ridge Boulevard, Blessed Alojzije Stepinac Croatian Catholic Mission
RP 6401 N. Ridge Boulevard, Roy E. Lapham, 1919.
RP 6415 N. Ridge Boulevard Germ Proof Cleaners.
WR 6424 N. Ridge Boulevard Tony Kremer, 1919.
WR 6430 N. Ridge Boulevard, Martin Sain Jaques, 1919.
WR 6432 N. Ridge Boulevard, John Kilb, 1919.
RP 6433 N. Ridge Boulevard, Joseph Koch, 1919.
WR 6434 Ridge Boulevard is a two-story frame house that Dominick Schreiber built in 1877.
RP 6435 N. Ridge Boulevard, John Mertens, 1919.
WR 6438 N. Ridge Boulevard, Mrs. Martin Jacques, 1919.
RP 6441 N. Ridge Boulevard, 1-2, L. Blitz, 1919.
WR 6450 Ridge Boulevard, home of twins Dominick and Michael Schreiber.
WR 6454 N. Ridge Boulevard, Oganfoyindo Oluwole, Barber Shop.
RP 6455 N. Ridge Boulevard, E.M. Grus, Laborer, 1919.
RP 6455 N. Ridge Boulevard, Lakeside Lumber & Manufacturing Company, 1919.
WR 6505 N. Ridge Boulevard, United Conveyor Corporation, September 1971.
WR 6544 N. Ridge Boulevard is S&C Electric Company.
RP 6545 N. Ridge Boulevard was the Alwart Coal Company on September 19, 1949.
WR 6600 N. Ridge Boulevard was photographed looking Southeast from Albion Avenue in 1949.
RP 6601 N. Ridge Boulevard, S&C Electric Company.
WR 6604 N. Ridge Boulevard, Joseph Lama, 1919.
RP 6617 N. Ridge Boulevard, Peter Anderson, 1919.
WR 6618 N. Ridge Boulevard, Peter Malget, 1919.
RP 6619 N. Ridge Boulevard, J. Gollrad, 1919.
WR 6638 N. Ridge Boulevard was the Zender family residence. No date given.
WR 6648 N. Ridge Boulevard, Peter Keil, 1919.
WR 6648 N. Ridge Avenue (was 3543 Ridge Avenue) was the Karthauser Inn. 1920.
RP 6665 N. Ridge Boulevard was the home of Peter Schmidt.
WR 6666 N. Ridge Boulevard was the Pear Garden Restaurant. September 19, 1986.
WR 6668 N. Ridge Avenue, Joseph Ebert Saloon, 1919.
WR 6728 Ridge Avenue John Zender.
WR 6732 N. Ridge Boulevard, Arthur J. Eishadt, 1919.
RP 6757 N. Ridge Avenue Eckenroth family
RP 6757 N. Ridge Boulevard was the Lambert Zender residence.
WR 6800 N. Ridge Boulevard
WR 6806 N. Ridge Boulevard, William Clesen, 1919.
RP 6813/15 N. Ridge Boulevard are three Georgian style houses. No owners names given.
WR 6810 N. Ridge Boulevard, Otto Hermann, 1919.
WR 6618 N. Ridge Boulevard, Peter Malget, 1919.
WR 6826 N. Ridge Boulevard, I.S. Copeland, 1919.
WR 6828 N. Ridge Boulevard, Fred Fortmann, 1919.
WR 6836 N. Ridge Boulevard was the Fortman family residence in March 1978.
69xx N. Ridge Boulevard is an unidentified house. No owner name given. No date given.
RP 6913 N. Ridge Boulevard, Fred P. Fortmann, 1919.
RP 6921 N. Ridge Boulevard, C.E. Collins, 1919.
RP 6937 N. Ridge Boulevard is the Matanky Playlot Park.
RP 6971 N. Ridge Boulevard, Leonard A. Hansen, 1919.
WR 6972 N. Ridge Boulevard, R.A. Cook, 1919.
WR 6972 W. Ridge Boulevard, B. Gutschow, 1919.
WR 6972 N. Ridge Boulevard, P.J. Kluesing, 1919.
RP 6975 N. Ridge Boulevard, James E. Cagney, 1919.
WR 6976 N. Ridge Boulevard, H. Cadwell, 1919.
WR 6978 N. Ridge Boulevard, T.W. Clayton, 1919.
WR 6978 N. Ridge Boulevard, Elijah A. Mee, 1919.
WR 7000 N. Ridge Boulevard, Frederick Henry Massmann
RP 7001 N. Ridge Boulevard, J. Christian Bay, 1919.
RP 7001 N. Ridge Boulevard is a house. No owner name given. Date given is October 1978.
RP 7005 N. Ridge Avenue was the residence of the Stayner family in 1926.
WR 7028 N. Ridge Boulevard, J.A. Hynes, 1919.
RP 7031 N. Ridge Boulevard, Donald H. Biggs, 1919.
RP 7031 N. Ridge Boulevard, Bert Korling, 1919.
RP 7033 N. Ridge Boulevard, Alfred Christian, 1919.
RP 7033 N. Ridge Boulevard, F.H. Heineck, 1919.
RP 7035 N. Ridge Boulevard, Hiram B. Kadish, 1919.
WR 7036 N. Ridge Boulevard is the Sixteenth Church of Christ Scientist, 1919.
RP 7045 N. Ridge Boulevard
RP 7053 N. Ridge Boulevard was 3850 Ridge Avenue, and was the Thomas Jackson residence, circa 1980. This was the Brown House in 1993.
RP 7053 N. Ridge Boulevard, Stanislaus Kempner, 1917.
RP 7053 N. Ridge Boulevard was the Thomas Jackson residence, circa 1980.
WR 7060 N. Ridge Boulevard, Mrs. Augusta Anderson, 1919.
WR 7060 N. Ridge Boulevard, Carl J. Larson, 1919.
WR 7064 N. Ridge Boulevard, Fred W. Alwart, 1919.
WR 7070 N. Ridge Avenue, Richard Ignatius Gavin, 1917.
WR 7074 W. Ridge Boulevard, Morgan A. Collins, 1919.
RP 7075 N. Ridge Boulevard, Jesse B. Hawkes, 1919.
WR 7100 N. Ridge Boulevard is the Boebel & Eaves House
RP 7101 N. Ridge Boulevard, James B. Jackson, 1919.
RP 7105 N. Ridge Boulevard, built by Van S. Dresser.
RP 7109 N. Ridge Boulevard, built by Van S. Dresser.
RP 7109 W. Ridge Boulevard, Mrs. W.G. Bruce, 1919.
RP 7113 N. Ridge Boulevard, built by Van S. Dresser. The Davoust Garden
WR 7114 N. Ridge Boulevard
WR 7120 N. Ridge Boulevard
RP 7125 N. Ridge Boulevard the Levenhagen House.
RP 7131 N. Ridge Boulevard, George Freed, 1919.
RP 7131 N. Ridge Boulevard, R.H. McKeller, 1919.
RP 7133 N. Ridge Boulevard, Baldwin Consler, 1919.
RP 7133 N. Ridge Boulevard, Ralph R. Gharet, Drug Store, 1919.
RP 7133 N. Ridge Boulevard, J.L. Davis, D.D.S., 1919.
WR 7200 N. Ridge Avenue (torn down) was Mary Jo Doyle's home.
WR 7200 N. Ridge Boulevard is an Apartment Building in September 1973.
WR 7204 N. Ridge Boulevard, George W. Dingman, 1919.
RP 7207 N. Ridge Avenue was the Phillips/Alsip House.
WR 7208 N. Ridge Boulevard, Otto L. Dell, 1919.
RP 7209 N. Ridge Avenue, H.C. Behnke, 1919.
WR 7216 N. Ridge Boulevard, Gasco Protector Company, 1919.
RP 7221 N. Ridge Boulevard was a house. No owner name given. No date given.
WR 7224 N. Ridge Boulevard
RP 7227 Ridge Boulevard, James B. Finley, 1919.
WR 7230 N. Ridge Boulevard was the address of Henry Schubert's house, which was built in 1884. Bob Sampson and Jean Wilson were married here on Wednesday, May 3, 1950.
WR 7234 N. Ridge Boulevard, S. Gardner, 1919.
WR 7234 N. Ridge Boulevard, Edward J. Hayes, 1919.
RP 7237 N. Ridge Boulevard, Kenilridge Auto Repair Shop, 1919.
WR 7238 N. Ridge Boulevard, Martin C. Johnson, 1919.
RP 7241 N. Ridge Boulevard, Francis D. McGuire, 1919.
RP 7253 N. Ridge Boulevard, Nils Akeson, 1919.
WR 7254 N. Ridge Boulevard (was 3957 Ridge) was the residence of J.C. Schiesswohl.
WR 7312-14 N. Ridge Boulevard a 6-unit apartment building.
WR 7318 N. Ridge Boulevard, Michael J. McNulty, 1919.
WR 7318 N. Ridge Boulevard, N.J. McNulty, 1919.
WR 7324 N. Ridge Boulevard, William McGuffie, 1919.
WR 7340 N. Ridge Boulevard
WR 7340-7350 N. Ridge Boulevard is the Casa Bonita Condominiums.
WR 7340 N. Ridge Boulevard, Casa Bonita Apartments, Condo Unit 1B, the Linda Bressler Apartment.
WR 7348 N. Ridge Boulevard, Casa Bonita Apartments, Condo Unit 17A, the Kaufman Apartment.
WR 7416 N. Ridge Boulevard is St. Scholastica Academy.
RP 7423 N. Ridge Boulevard was an Apartment Building in September 1976.
WR 7430 N. Ridge Avenue, Benedictine Sisters of Chicago Academy, 1919.
WR 7430 N. Ridge Boulevard is St. Scholastica Academy.
RP 7437 N. Ridge Boulevard was an Apartment Building in September 1976.
RP7455 N. Ridge Boulevard was a greenhouse owned by Peter Breit, Jr..
RP 7455 N. Ridge Avenue, Breit Alois, 1919.
WR 7462 N. Ridge Boulevard, John Betz, 1919.
WR 7474 N. Ridge Avenue is where a Consumers Company horse-drawn wagon was photographed in 1923.
WR 7504 N. Ridge Boulevard (was 4113 Ridge) was the Peter Muno house, built in the early 1840s. It stood on this site for more than 120 years.
WR 7504 N. Ridge Avenue was the home Joseph Winkin.
WR 7536 N. Ridge Boulevard R. Neil Kyle, 1919.
RP 7547 N. Ridge Boulevard, Mrs. M.E. Beatty, 1919.
RP 7547 N. Ridge Boulevard, B.O. Gladding, 1919.
RP 7547 N. Ridge Boulevard, George J. Heicher Nursery, 1919.
RP 7547 N. Ridge Boulevard, A.E. Lichtenwalter, 1919.
WR 7554 N. Ridge Avenue farmhouse of Heinrich Muno Margaretha Muno.
RP 7555 N. Ridge Boulevard was the Ridge-Howard Pharmacy.
RP 7559 N. Ridge Boulevard, Ridge Howard Currency Exchange
RP 7559 N. Ridge Boulevard, Sunrise American Caribbean Restaurant, 2016.