North Shore Beach
North Shore Beach Park lies at the southern end of the Rogers Park neighborhood, where North Shore Avenue meets Lake Michigan. North Shore Avenue apparently takes its name from the former Town of North Shore that later became part of Rogers Park. North Shore Beach Park is one of 18 street-end beaches acquired by the Chicago Park District from the City of Chicago in 1959. The city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation was operating 27 such beaches by 1937; some of these were in existence as early as 1921. Although lifeguards manned these small municipal beaches, they had no changing rooms or other facilities. In Rogers Park, the beaches met the summertime recreational needs of the residents who lived in the many apartment buildings built in the eastern portion of the community between 1900 and 1930.