Nicholas Thinnes was born in 1869, and his wife, Anna was born in 1867. They emigrated from Germany in 1891 and purchased land on Western Avenue north of Lunt Avenue, (7046 N. Western Avenue).
They went immediately into the greenhouse business, employing their entire family, and a couple of hired laborers, in producing vegetable and floral crops year round.
They generated their own power from a (likely) coal-fired steam generation plant attached to the rear of the home.
Nicholas, his wife, and at least one son, Nicholas J., born in 1906, are interred in St. Henry's Cemetery.
RPWRHS Photo S013-2125, Anna Thinnes & Nicholas Thinnes Headstone, St. Henry's Cemetery, 1929 W. Devon Avenue. September, 1984.