National Brick Company

From HistoryWiki

National Brick Company Soundex Code N354


The National Brick Company was located between Touhy Avenue and Howard Street on the east side to the North Shore Channel, in Niles Center (later known as Skokie).

Even though it lay in the suburb of Niles Center, the National Brick Company’s plant was called the “Evanston Plant.”

National Brick’s Evanston Brickyard took its clay from a region just west of McCormick Boulevard. This area now contains Federal-Mogul Corporation Skokie, Sealing Systems (formerly Fel-Pro) 7450 N. McCormick Boulevard, Skokie, IL, Klein Tools, and other industrial facilities. The clay was transported on an electric tram under McCormick and a bridle path that ran from Devon Avenue to Green Bay Road, and over a bridge spanning the North Shore Channel to the brickyard.

Bernard F. Weber became president of the National Brick Company, circa 1905.

Photos

RPWRHS photo T002-30488 shows workers at the National Brick Company, Touhy Avenue and Kedzie Avenue in 1900.

RPWRHS photo T002-40131 shows workers at the National Brick Company, Touhy Avenue and Kedzie Avenue. 1910.