In 1897, twin brothers Dominick Schreiber and Michael Schreiber, were real estate speculators who subdivided an area between Ravenswood Avenue and Clark Street, north of Devon Avenue. Schreiber Avenue runs through this subdivision.
As late as 1870, there were fewer than ten families living west of Ridge Avenue in what is now the southwestern portion of Rogers Park. Among these were the Schreibers. Nicholas Schreiber and his wife, Katherine, arrived from Mainz, Germany in 1848, and purchased 40 acres of land near Devon Avenue and Green Bay Trail (now Clark Street). Nicholas died suddenly just a few months before the birth of his twin sons, Dominick and Michael. Raised by their mother and an older brother, the twins eventually took control of the family farm. They expanded their holdings to 160 acres, and engaged in truck farming.
Dominick built greenhouses on the land, and found success in the floral business. In 1877, he built a two-story frame house on Ridge Avenue, near his boyhood home. Twenty years later, the brothers subdivided their land.