Howard District Business Association
The Howard District Business Association was very active in the continuing development of Howard Street. The Association was influential in widening Paulina Street and in the annexation of a strip of Sheridan Road (from Rogers Avenue to Calvary Cemetery) to Chicago in 1926. The Association was also responsible for improving police protection in the area, a new lighting system in 1925, development of the Howard Beach, and the stopping of the Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad at the Howard Street Station. The increase in population in the area also led to the completion of a new public elementary school, the Stephen Francis Gale School on September 4, 1922, at 1631 W. Jonquil Terrace.
The Howard District Business Associationwas started in June, 1923.