Designed by architect August William Fiedler (1843-1903), the Germania Club building, 1538-1542 N. Clark Street, was built in 1888 as one of the great icons of Chicago's once central and thriving German culture, and one of its last surviving traces in a neighborhood long dominated by that culture.
Imposing yet inviting, the Germania building is dominated by a continuous arcade of paired high windows, each bisected by an ornamented column that blossoms into a double-arch under a classical pediment. Tall red brick piers rest atop a two-story stone base. A broad loggia centers the second story of the Clark Street elevation, and a majestic, Doric-columned entrance faces Germania Place.
1904 address: Germania Club, 257 N. Clark Street
Frederick Jacob Becker, 1917, 1919.