First German Methodist Episcopal Church
The First German Methodist Episcopal Church of Columbus, Ohio, was organized by the Reverend John Barth in 1843. For one year, the Society worshiped in an engine house on Mound Street near the courthouse. Then they bought a lot at the northwest corner of Third Street and Livingston Avenue for $450. Here they built a brick church which answered their purposes until 1871. In April of that year, they began a new church costing $16,000. It was finished in 1872 and dedicated on September 8 by Reverend Dr. Pershing, President of the Pittsburgh Female College, assisted by Reverend William Nast D.D., editor of the Apologete, and the Reverend Doctor Lobenstein, of Berea College.