The Thinnes Family
The Thinnes Family are representative of the second group of emigrants that established themselves in West Ridge. Nicholas Thinnes born in 1869, and his wife, Anna born in 1867, emigrated from Germany in 1891 and purchased land on (now) Western Avenue north of Lunt Avenue, (7046 N. Western Avenue).
They went immediately into the greenhouse business, employing their entire family, and a couple of hired laborers, in producing vegetable and floral crops year round.
They generated their own power from a (likely) coal-fired steam generation plant attached to the rear of the home.