Clark Street Tollgate
Tolls were collected at about every three miles in little houses. At these stations there was a sort of gate or bar on hinges to let down at night or during a rush. All tollhouses had one bright light to the front with a reflector attached.
Several toll roads built in the Chicago area beginning in 1848 were put out of business within a few years by the railroads.
RPWRHS photo C002-0107 shows the Rogers Park tollgate and gatekeeper's house which were built in 1869 at Rogers Avenue and Clark Street by Charlie Airs for use by travelers going to and from Calvary Cemetery.