Chase, Charles C.
In 1852, brothers Charles C. Chase, Horace Chase, and Samuel Blanchard Chase (1823-1896), became employed by real estate dealer James H. Rees, who with Edward A. Rucker originated the land abstract system in Chicago. In 1855, Horace and Samuel Chase joined fortunes with James Rees to form Rees, Chase & Company. Eventually, Mr. Rees was bought out, and the firm became Chase Brothers & Company.
In 1870, brother Charles C. Chase joined Chase Brothers & Company; the fourth partner being George H. Bailey, and the office located at 48 LaSalle Street. After the fire of 1871, in which the Cook County abstract records were destroyed, it was found that Chase Brothers & Co. and two other abstract firms (Shortall & Hoard and Jones & Seller) had each lost part of their indices, but together had a complete set, with some duplicates. The three firms therefore merged, and still later consolidated with Chicago Title and Trust. Immediately after the fire, Chase Brothers & Co. established its offices at 299 W. Washington Street. Horace maintained a separate loan business with John B. Adams as well.