Northwestern Elevated Railroad "L" Car 740 was manufactured by the Jewett Car Company in 1906. It seated 48 passengers and was 46 ft. 3/4 in. long by 8 ft. 8-1/2 in. wide by 12 ft. 9-5/8 in. tall. This car had a steel underframe and steel-reinforced superstructure and came with an enclosed vestibule and wide air-operated sliding side doors.
The 740 belonged to the 755-768 series. After the Northwestern was integrated into the Chicago Rapid Transit the car's number was changed to 1740.
The car was scrapped in March 1958.