Adams Street Station

From HistoryWiki

Adams Street Station Soundex Code A352

Chicago Edison's first central generating station, designed by chief engineer Frederick Sargent, opened at 139 (later 120) West Adams Street in August, 1888. This first station was intended to serve an area bounded by Harrison Street, Market Street, and Water Street (both now Wacker Drive), and Michigan Avenue, and served this area with an Edison-patented direct current system until it closed in 1914 or 1915.

By 1892, Chicago Edison's load had grown to 3,200 kilowatts, the full capacity of this generating station.