6555 N. Artesian Avenue
This house was in the 2008 Annual House Tour.
In 2003, they found just the house they wanted in West Ridge. The couple’s side-entrance bungalow was designed by architect William C. Presto and built by contractor Anton Vachtschal in 1922 for $6,000. Mr. Vachtschal immediately sold the house for $12,000 to a young couple, Frederick and Florence Gnadt and their two young children. Frederick was a salesman for a dairy company.
Utilizing a grant from the Historic Chicago Bungalow Association, the couple has replaced their front windows with new energy-efficient ones, and replaced glass block windows with those consistent with the look of a 1920s home. The bathroom has been remodeled with bead board walls to match fragments that were discovered during the demolition of the 1950s plastic tile.
With the arrival of their infant son, major rehabbing jobs have been put on hold, but Jay and Greg hope someday to restore the rest of the woodwork in the home to match the already refinished door and mantel they completed “for inspiration”. Although the house is relatively small compared to other bungalows in West Ridge, Jay & Greg feel the coziness complements the old family furniture they like so well.