1928 W. Lunt Avenue

From HistoryWiki

1928 W. Lunt Avenue was the Pollard House, 1911.

1928 W. Lunt Avenue, the Michael Puisis/Coral Norris House, 1991.

1928 W. Lunt Avenue, the McGurn/Mink House in 2006.

This house was featured in the 1991 Annual Fall House Tour and the 2006 Annual Fall House Tour.

Circa: 1893

Original Owner: E.A. Duplaino, 1893

Second Owner: John William Pollard, 1911.

Third Owner: Michael Puisis/Coral Norris House, (1991).

Fourth Owner: McGurn and Mink

This attractive ten-room Victorian-style House, with its Eastlake turnings on the wrap-around porch, fish-scale shingles in the gable, and two story bay window on the east side, was a popular house style in early Rogers Park. Of historical interest is the fact that in 1911, John William Pollard bought the house. He was a barber and his was the first-recorded black family to live in the community.

Neighborhood lore is that E.A. Duplaino also built the house two doors east for his daughter.

The house sat vacant for fifteen years (1973-1988) until the Puisis-Norris Family bought it and started an ambitious renovation. Due to the extended period of vacancy, the home required many and substantial renovations.

In the foyer, the staircase has its original Eastlake newel posts and spindles, high baseboards, and Eastlake door frames. To the left of the foyer is the living room-dining room combination with its original oak fireplace surround and fire screen. Notice the little door on the left wall of the fireplace. The bookcase in the living room is one of the pieces original to the house. Original picture molding and bull's-eye trim can be found throughout the first floor. This area also includes the dining room, which at one time was separated from the living room by a pocket door. The oak floors are new (1991). The antique furniture is a compliment to the architecture of the house. To the right, the family room is spacious and airy with large bay windows and a French door to the porch. The handsome remodeled bath just north of family room has a marble sink found in the basement. North of the bath is the guest room.

There are major changes in the kitchen. Modern counters replace the old pantry and basement stairs. the 1920s sink was moved from the south side of the kitchen to the north. The porch was made into a mud room. The back door was changed to the north wall. A wall-hanging cabinet removed from the pantry is now attached to the east wall over an antique chest and adds a vintage flavor to the kitchen. The light fixtures, although not original to the house, have a charm all their own. All the long windows are original and have had extensive repair.

The stairway has two landings. On the second floor to the immediate left is a small room enlarged by the enclosure of a sun porch. Next is the master bedroom with a new (1991) full-length closet. North in this hallway is a modern bathroom-laundry room. A point of interest is the original tub from the downstairs bathroom. On the east side of the house is another large bedroom with a bay window. Here, again, on this entire floor, the bull's eye trim and pine floor are dominant.

There is also a refurbished attic with new (1991) skylight and new semi-circular window added to the gable. This latter addition gives the gabled roof, with its overhanging eaves and shingles, a modern appearance. The attic space is used as an office, library, and play room. They have added new heat ducts and have trimmed the windows and doors for an Eastlake frame effect.


RPWRHS Photo S013-2134, John William Pollard's House, 1928 W. Lunt Avenue, Sunday, November 19, 1989.

RPWRHS Photo S013-2135, Side view of John William Pollard's house, 1928 W. Lunt Avenue, Sunday, November 19, 1989.

RPWRHS Photo S013-2145, John William Pollard's House Roofing Repairs, 1928 W. Lunt Avenue, Friday, May 5, 1989.

RPWRHS Photo S013-2146, John William Pollard's House Roofing Repairs, 1928 W. Lunt Avenue, Friday, May 5, 1989.