1919 W. Greenleaf Avenue

From HistoryWiki

1919 W. Greenleaf Avenue was 531 Greenleaf Avenue, Mr. & Mrs. Edmund Morier, 1898, 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904.

1919 W. Greenleaf Avenue was the Scale/Keefe residence in 1918.

1919 W. Greenleaf Avenue, J.J. Engberg, 1919.

1919 W. Greenleaf Avenue, the Scale/Keefe residence, 1991.

Circa: 1894

Original Owner: Unknown.

Present (1991) Owner: Scale and Keefe (Full names not in 1991 House Tour writeup).

This house was visited during the 1991 Annual Fall House Tour.

The recessed placement of this gracious Queen Anne House leaves space for an intriguing view of its facade. The circular posts on the wrap-around porch emphasize its gracefulness. The corner bay, which extends from the first floor to the roof, is topped with a bellcast turret and finial. The three gables are covered with shingles. Notice the Palladian windows in the east and west gables. The clapboarding and lattice underpining are accented by white posts, and "painted lady" trim railings on the porch, window surrounds, and eaves.

The wide stairway to the porch sets the stage for the spaciousness of the foyer with its beaded wainscotting and Victorian wallpaper. The ornamental banister and original woodwork are of quarter-sawn oak. On the left, one enters the living room through the original, restored double doors.

In the living room, one is charmed by oak floors, which replaced the original pine floors. The baseboard and the simple corner trim are original and also of oak. The east bay provides ample light for this area. Vintage furniture and pictures complete the final touch to an elegant Victorian room.

South of the living room, one enters the second parlor. The original fireplace, ornamented with fluted posts and green marble, is the focal point in this room. The double window on the east and porch door on the north are original to this house. Vintage furniture and pictures also complement this area.

Directly south of this second parlor, there is a small room which is original. Its previous use is uncertain, but in 1991, it is used as a library. Adjoining this room is an elegantly remodeled bath.

The simplicity of the dining room with its 1920s chandelier and chair rail continue to maintain the vintage appearance of the entire house. This area can be reached from the west side of the original second parlor through the second set of original pocket doors or from the foyer.

The kitchen has been completely remodeled within the 1986-1991 period of time. The original back door was replaced by a window and the sink. New French doors were added to the right of the sink. The pantry and back staircase were opened and made part of the kitchen. Recessed lighting adds to the ambiance of this area. The deck and the gorgeous garden are just beyond this door.

The second floor consists of four bedrooms and one remodeled bath. These can be reached from either the front or rear staircase. At the top of the beautiful front staircase, is a long hallway where there are three bedrooms on the left and one on the right. The bath is at the far south end of this hallway.

The master bedroom greets you with its pronounced turret window. The proper use of this space and choice of furniture brings out the Victorian flavor of this area. There is an adjoining walk-in closet.

At the end of the hallway, there is a built-in linen closet to the west of the bath. The remodeled bath extends into the third bedroom on the left.

The attic's original features are intact, from the floors and trim to the free-standing stove. The area is not completely refurbished at this time (1991).