1902 W. Lunt Avenue
Original Owner: Stephen Purrington Lunt
Second Owner: Charles H. Morse
Ninth and Present Owner: Royce
Stephen Purrington Lunt held a deed to this property in 1873. Charles H. Morse briefly held title in 1886. Eight owners have lived in this house between 1892 and June 1983, when the Royces purchased it.
The single-family Victorian-style Houses frame house has 18 rooms and a wrap-around porch. Windows vary in size, even on one wall. The entrance has an oak outer door and a pine inner door.
The first floor contains four rooms, a foyer, and a long front hall. The ceilings are ten feet high and the floors are oak, except in the kitchen, which is maple. In the living room are many elements typical of this era, with two large plaster ceiling medallions, bulls eye moldings, and a mahogany secretary desk. The connecting library also has a ceiling medallion and a fireplace with a cherrywood mantle and inlaid tile.
The kitchen was completely remodeled in 1984. The old linoleum flooring was removed and an island, cabinets, and counter tops were installed. The old pantry was left intact.
As you ascend to the second floor, notice the extraordinary mahogany banister. This staircase had been walled off in the 1940s and was uncovered by the owners, who restored it in the 1980s. There are four bedrooms and two bathrooms. The original dumbwaiter now serves as a linen closet. The master bedroom has a fireplace matching the one in the downstairs library.
The third floor contains three large rooms, which were bedrooms.
In the basement, the original dirt floor was covered with concrete at some point, but is now carpeted. There are four large rooms for play, work, and visiting.
In the side yard to the west, there is a gazebo and a garden.
Historic Name: Griske House
Community: Rogers Park (01)
Address: 1902 W. Lunt Avenue
Constructed: Started in 07/01/1885
Style: Queen Anne
Type: Single-Family Residence
Color Code: Orange
National Register? N