In 1892, when Henry Newgard bought a parcel of land with a 250-foot frontage on what was then Lincoln Street in the Village of Rogers Park, he called it “The Farm,” even though he was not a farmer. A Norwegian immigrant who came to Chicago in 1879, he was one of the city’s first electrical contractors, playing a role in the construction of neighborhood landmarks such as the Rogers Park Woman’s Club at the corner of Ashland and Estes Avenues and the Masonic Temple at 1716 West Lunt. He lived in his own home on The Farm, and by the turn of the 20th Century, the rest of the neighborhood filled in with magnificent post-Victorian homes. Most feature wide sweeping porches, rounded gables, peaked roofs and elaborate backyard gardens, all lovingly maintained and modernized by their 21st century owners on streets lined with a lush canopy of decades-old trees.
Get an inside look at six beautiful homes you won’t want to miss on this self-guided tour of two blocks of Newgard and Greenview Avenues. Parking and tour check-in at Sullivan High School, 6650 N. Greenview.
The Annual House Walk has been a neighborhood tradition since 1978, and we’re thrilled we can present these spectacular homes in person. To insure a safe event for everyone, rest assured that as we emerge from pandemic isolation, appropriate Covid-19 restrictions will followed, based on recommendations from the Chicago Department of Health and the preferences of our homeowner hosts.