Named after Civil War General Philip Henry Sheridan (March 6, 1831 – August 5, 1888), who took charge of restoring law and order after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, this thoroughfare offers a peek-a-boo view of Lake Michigan as you pass each east-west street.
Just east of Sheridan Road, the “street-end” beaches offer residents advantages that few other Chicagoans enjoy. They can step out of their homes, onto the sand and into the water if they so desire.
Even long ago, the lakeshore was a cherished place to live as many people had summer homes there. In the 1890s, a developer came up with the idea of a Birchwood Beach subdivision and many improvements such as water, sewers, lights, curbs, and parkways were installed. The area was bounded by Touhy on the south, Howard on the north, Ashland on the west, and, of course, Lake Michigan on the east. It was considered a very exclusive place to live and many lovely mansions were built on Sheridan Road and the cross streets.
From the 1992-1993 House Tour Program