Calvary Cemetery

The Old Drug Store Bicycle

by Bob Goldsmith, R.P. Cars driving northward along Ridge Boulevard, enroute to Evanston and the North Shore were accustomed to seeing the old delivery bike with the large basket and the small front wheel. It had “always” been chained to the lamp post, next to the mailbox, in front of the corner drug store at Howard

Read More

Cutting the Line

by Hank Morris At midnight of Tuesday December 27, 1910 the direct track connection between the Chicago Evanston Avenue (now Broadway) line and the Evanston Chicago Avenue (in Chicago known as Clark Street) line was cut at Clark and Howard without any notice, in an event called “cutting the line.” The company failed to inform

Read More

The Broadmoor Hotel

by Hank Morris The Broadmoor Hotel, 7600 North Bosworth was built in 1922-23 by developers Louis Rubin and Abraham Marks, this six-story building was one of the most luxurious buildings of its day. It had 90 apartments and 7 stores, which were accessible from the lobby and the street. From 1924 to 1927, WBBM radio

Read More

Have you paid your Wheel Tax?

by Hank Morris Wheel Tax? Yup! Wheel Tax! What’s a wheel tax? Back in 1895, 12th Ward Republican Alderman Conrad Kahler prepared an ordinance providing for a “wheel and tire tax” on vehicles of every description used in the city—including bicycles. (He got away with including bikes because he claimed that presumably there were a

Read More

Rogers Park’s First Lifeguards

by Chris Serb Rogers Park’s first lifeguard crew arrived at Touhy and the lake, the site of today’s Leone Beach, in 1906. At the time, the United States Life-Saving Service already housed a crew of student-volunteers at Northwestern University. The Northwestern crew was one of the service’s best, winning the Gold Lifesaving Medal for the

Read More

Indian Boundary Park

by Hank Morris Around 1835 when Philip Leonard Rogers arrived in the area that would bear his name, he wanted to establish a profitable trading post with the indians. Pottawattomie, Chippewa and Ottawa tribes lived in the area before Europeans arrived. Rogers built a log cabin right near the intersection of what is now Lunt

Read More

The Rogers Park Women’s Club

  The Rogers Park Woman’s Club (RPWC) was founded in the Fall of 1891 at the home of Mrs. E.D. Coxe with an initial membership of ten. In later years, at its height, there were 900 members. At its inception, the Club was mainly literary. Later, the concerns of the members were devoted to Civics,

Read More

B’nai Zion, First Synagogue in Rogers Park

by Hank Morris The congregation of B’nai Zion, made history by being the first Conservative synagogue in Rogers Park and Chicago; it is a group which was established and remained in a neighborhood never predominantly Jewish despite a sizable number of Jews; and was a synagogue which adapted to demographic change of the sort that

Read More

Calvary Cemetery

According to the Encyclopedia of Chicago, “In Chicago, the living and the dead have always sought the same space: high and dry land with good transportation.” In the 1830s, the 60-acre City Cemetery and the smaller Catholic Cemetery ran north and south of North Avenue along the Green Bay Ridge in present-day Lincoln Park. In

Read More