Edward A. Sharp, Sr., (1860-1952) was the first Clerk of the Village of Rogers Park, which was incorporated in April, 1878. The boundaries of the Village were Devon Avenue to the south, Ridge Avenue on the West, Rogers Avenue on the north and the Lake on the east. His service contributed greatly to the development of Rogers Park. As he stated in a 1927 interview, “there were some improvements made; the sale of intoxicating liquors was prohibited, a village policeman was put on, also a volunteer fire company organized, contract was made with the Rogers Park Water Company to build a water plant, and surveys were made for sewerage. It was all installed in about two years for $150,000” (more than $3 million today), “paid by special assessments.” He had 18 children, many of whom are buried in Calvary Cemetery.
Originally published in the 2009 Founders’ Day booklet