by Colleen Taylor Sen
Martin H. Kennelly (1887-1967), the 47th Mayor of Chicago, succeeded Edward Joseph Kelly as Mayor in 1947 and held the post until 1955. Born in Bridgeport, he moved to 5555 North Sheridan Road where he entered the moving and storage business. He was the founder of Allied Van Lines, a trade association that united local companies in a single brand. One of his major clients was Chicago’s Field Museum of Natural History. When the Democratic Party decided to dump Edward Kelly, they slated Kennelly in his place. He returned to his Bridgeport neighborhood to run. However, he proved too independent for his sponsors, who endorsed Richard Joseph Daley (1902-1976) in the 1955 Democratic Primary.